Login |  Register

Post subject: Chapter 2 Box Help - Can't follow instructions?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:48 pm 
I'm stuck on the first task. Does not bode well. My problem is that I can't follow the instructions. I am a beginner, but I learn pretty quick, usually.

My issue so far is I am doing a lot of stuff without understanding why (I hope it is explained later - such as why I created a UVW map and then collapsed it which appeared to remove it...)

I am using the student version of 2012, so that might explain some differences.

Anyway, the instructions say, on page 22

"To keep this tutorial simple, I have already prepared the texture maps that you’ll be using from photographs. Later on in the book, we will discuss creating textures from photographs and applying them to models.
To add the textures into the Material Editor, select the material ID from the vertical list and load in the texture map for each side of the box. Although there are 10 materials displayed in the editor, we’ll just use the first six listed: Material #2 through Material #7 in my case. Yours could have different names, depending on how you have used 3ds Max previously. Don’t worry if your names don’t match mine at this point, as they can be renamed."

What is what here? I see a picture, figure 2.8, directly above this, but it relates to an earlier task which I did (changing the standard thing to multi/sub).

He says he has prepared the texture maps from photographs? I assume they are the JPG files of the box. So why does he say load the texture map for each side of the box when this is later on with loading the bitmaps? Where do I select the material ID? How do I assign a texture map. Also, what is the "Show Standard Map in Viewport" button. It is not in mine, nor is it in the pictures he provdes. Also, the image for the icon looks like an earlier version of 3dsmax (2009 maybe?), since it is a grey button not black.

I've followed the steps through about 15 times and each time I end up with the same outcome - a box with the same texture on every side, and when I try to change the index like it says on page 26, none of the other indexes contain any textures, even though I assigned them all according to the instructions.

I've been at this for over 2 hours now.

Please help.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Chapter 2 Box Help - Can't follow instructions?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 pm 
If anyone has 2011 or 2012, can you please go through the steps exactly as written in the book. Don't do stuff that isn't written, and tell me what happens. At the end of following this, I get a box with the same texture on every side, and when I go to change the index of the texture in the properties panel like it says to, none of the other textures show up (the only one that maps for me is the top of the box, on every side).

Or could someone create an updated video tutorial for 2011/2012? Even just a quick one without voice, just following the steps.

I found an older video tutorial of this online and there are SO many steps and instructions not included in the book. I still couldn't get it to work though, since it was from 3dsmax 2008. One thing I did notice was that when he changed it to multi/sub from standard, it populated his list with standard materials, but it doesn't do this in 2012.

I'm really frustrated at this book so far. It's like the screenshots have been updated but the text hasn't (and yes, I confirmed that the "Show Standard Maps in Viewport" is a 3dsmax 2008 button, which does not exist in 2011, or 12, and is not even in the images in the book).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm 
Welcome to the forum Lukasaurus,

Sorry to hear your having trouble with this tutorial, I will try my best to help you through it with the information you have posted.

My issue so far is I am doing
a lot of stuff without understanding why (I hope it is explained later - such as why I created a UVW map and then collapsed it which appeared to remove it...)

Dont worry, you have still stored the data you have just created. If you try to apply another UNW map all the data is still there, it hasnt dissapeared.

"I am using the student version of 2012, so that might explain some differences. "

Max student versions are the same as the proffesional versions. Its just what you are allowed to do with your models that you create are different.

I dont have the book in front of me right now so I am going to make an assumption, you are seeing a list of which should have 10 buttons which if you click on should produce a windows image loader, Now click on the first one and using the windows loader select the first image.
Continue down the list selecting each image ( there is an image for each side of the box )

Jpegs / bmp / tga are considered bitmaps, its a technical term common through out computing.

For this tutorial there should be no difference to the version of Max you are using, some of the colours have changed over time but the program still works exactly the same.

If you are still having trouble, please post up some images of where you are struggling and your results.

Once again I dont have either the book or Max in front of me right now, but rest assured we never like to see a user left behind. We will guide you through this come what may.

http://www.nickigoe.blogspot.com

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
So starting with my cube, which has already had the UVs mapped and collapsed,

I select my cube.

Then I hit M and it brings up the materials menu. I have changed it from standard to multi/sub and as you can see, my list of 10 things is empty. What do I do from here? Because the book and the video already have materials in those boxes, so already, I'm stuck.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 pm 
Ok there is a selction box in your image that is currently displaying 'none' from 1 to 10

Click on these box`s to bring up a windows loading dialog, and load an image for each side.

http://www.nickigoe.blogspot.com

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 pm 
So I did that and I get this...

so I click on the button next to diffuse

and select my box top

then I get this

None of this is explained in the book, but I got a bit of it from the video. Now what? do I just repeat for each side? btw, no texture is showing up yet. What do I do in this most recent window?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:47 pm 
btw, thankyou for your help. This is so frustrating for something that appears to be so simple.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 pm 
Hi Lukasaurus,

Sorry you're having trouble on this chapter. This tutorial was done in Max 2010. To make the maps visible read below:

It does mention the button but has no image for the location. The one referred to in the book

"As you assign each material a texture map, click the Show Standard Map in Viewport button ( ) so that when you Assign Material to Selection, the textures are visible on the object."

In 2012 it's the "show material in viewport" button highlighted below. This will toggle on\off the assigned texture maps visibility in the viewport.

Quote:
One thing I did notice was that when he changed it to multi/sub from standard, it populated his list with standard materials, but it doesn't do this in 2012.

Can you exapand on "it populated his list " ?

"To keep this tutorial simple, I have already prepared the texture maps that you’ll be using from photographs. Later on in the book, we will discuss creating textures from photographs and applying them to models.
To add the textures into the Material Editor, select the material ID from the vertical list and load in the texture map for each side of the box. Although there are 10 materials displayed in the editor, we’ll just use the first six listed: Material #2 through Material #7 in my case. Yours could have different names, depending on how you have used 3ds Max previously. Don’t worry if your names don’t match mine at this point, as they can be renamed."

For this text it's not explaining steps, the author is informing you of what's about to happen in a quick summary and that he has textures already prepared.

Everything is explained after this from pages 23-26 covering material assignments.

FIG 2.8 was only to show the step relating to changing a standard material to a multi sub object.

Quote:
What do I do from here? Because the book and the video already have materials in those boxes, so already, I'm stuck.

Have a read of pages 23-26.

The best advice I can offer as you progress through the book is to have a quick read over a chapter you are about to start so you get a view of the whole process. You do not need to take it all in just get a feel for what you need to do.

Then start the tasks and approach them step by step.

Hope I've helped clear this up for you if you have anymore questions let us know ;)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am 
To elaborate,

when I change it from standard to multi-sub, in the book and video, the list is already populated with materials (it says something like Material #1 etc), whereas mine just says "None" (see the image I posted a few posts back.)

I assumed I just clicked this and clicked Standard to apply a standard material. Then click the diffuse button and assign a texture?

I can do all that - but when I get to the step where it says

"Now that we have assigned texture maps to all of the materials, we will apply the material set to the box and apply the material IDs to the faces of the box, allowing us to see the texture maps.
With the box still selected as an editable mesh, click the Assign Material to Selection button to assign the material set that you’ve just set up to the box you’re mapping (Fig. 2.12). At this point, you should see that a lot of the box’s faces now have texture maps on them. These currently correspond to the default face IDs, which are not necessarily the ones we want, so let’s go through and check each face of the cube individually to make sure that the correct texture map is applied to the correct face on the box."

It reads like I select the entire box and assign the entire multi-sub material to the box. I do this and it covers every box face with the same texture.

Then, following the next steps, to change the faces

"To get the correct map onto the correct face, first select the face of the box that is on the top of the box in the Perspective viewport. Go to Selection and select Polygon. Scroll down from selection until you get to the Surface Properties rollout box and in Material, make sure that Set ID is set to 1."

I do that and if I change it to one, the face goes gray. The only ID that contains anything is ID7, which is on every face, but that doesn't even exist on my material, since I only have six IDs?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:28 am 
I downloaded 3ds Max 2010 (student version) and it works fine in that. I think the UV mapping in 2012 has been completely revamped, which was probably throwing me off.

Profile  Offline