Login |  Register

Post subject: Edit seams help please!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 pm 
I am stuck on this part of chapter 2. Started over multiple times and it still comes out to this. The seams are wrong and im not sure how to change them. The book shows a flat area aswell in the edit uvws but in mine they are all over the place. Very confused on what to do from here. here is a screen shot of what im talking about.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Edit seams help please!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:22 pm 
Not sure exactly what the book says off hand, but here is what I would do:

1. Set it to face select mode.
2. Press ctrl-a to select all.
3. Under projection click on "planar map" and align it so you get a top-down projection (probably Z axis). You should see the UVs change. Click planar map again to deselect it.
4. In the edit UVWs window you should see the barrel as if viewed from above. Drag it out of 0-1 space (the box) so that it won't interfere on the next step.
5. Make sure "ignore backfacing" is unticked. Now go into one of your side viewports and select the whole middle section of the barrel - not the top and bottom caps, just the part you want to split away.
6. Repeat the planar projection again from step 3. Use X or Y alignment this time. It should split the body of the barrel (the part you selected) away from the caps.
7. Set it to edge select mode. Click on the edge/edges you want to use for the seam (usually around the back of the object).
8. In the edit UVWs window right click and select "break". This should make a seam on those edges you selected.
9. Now switch back to poly select mode and select all. In the edit UVWs window go to tools > relax. I usually use "relax by face angles". Hit start relax - the UVs should all relax/flatten out.
10. If all that went okay, you should have the middle part of the barrel and the caps separated and relaxed. Now it's just a case of lining them up and scaling them until they fit the map.

Profile  Offline