[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 484: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '(!empty($user->lang['$1'])) ? $user->lang['$1'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', '$1')))', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 484: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '(!empty($user->lang['$1'])) ? $user->lang['$1'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', '$1')))', to be a valid callback

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/andeegee/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/andeegee/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
3d-for-games.com • View topic - Questions?

Login |  Register

Post subject: Questions?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 am 
Do you have any questions about jobs in games?

Where to work?
What to study?
Salaries?
Life in the workplace?

ask them here

http://www.3D-For-Games.com
http://www.ThePixelBullies.com

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Questions?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 pm 
I think a recurring theme that comes up is people are unsure of what qualifications they should aim for. There are two arguments, one is that people recruit on ability and you don't need qualifications (some even say attending school holds you back) and the other is that getting a degree / qualification is a way to go as it shows commitment and the ability to work hartd at something over a period of time.

One assertion that is made is that a game design degree is useless. Is it? Others say that physics is a good subject to study to help with physics systems. Who knows? There's a lot of BS out there from people who don't know.

A good example of the questions and arguments arising are here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/128834-Realisticly-could-i-become-a-game-developer

I think the Unity forums may be a fertile ground for gathering questions people have, from both coders and artists if you posted asking for questions people have.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14 am 
This is an easy one to clarify...

A games related degree is very important, but not essential.

Most employers nowadays expect a degree, but they also want to see a god portfolio with it - someone with a degree and a shit portfolio will be binned immediately.

Someone with no degree and a great portfolio will usually get an art test and an interview.

Experience is VERY important too - I stress this all the time and am surprised when I offer opportunities for experience to people and they don't take me up on it - really it's baffling.

So, in my opinion the things you wanna get are at least 2 out of 3 of these...

1) A great varied portfolio (2D, 3D, Max,Maya, etc)
2) A degree - if you get on the right course and work hard this should give you a good portfolio too
3) Experience - Jump at any chance you get to gain experience - it'll give you something to talk about at interviews, it'll give you experience working with people you can learn from, and it'll give you portfolio work.

Be wary of people/companies that offer experience (you work for them for free) and they don't let you show off your work in your portfolio. Avoid them, you're getting almost nothing, and they are getting everything - I believe they are conning you.

If you want some experience with me - let me know, I'm kicking off the Formula Force race project and recruiting for it - just let me know as I'm pulling the team together over the next few weeks.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:23 pm 
AndyGahan {L_WROTE}:
1) A great varied portfolio (2D, 3D, Max,Maya, etc)

This is something I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on. Some people insist you should have a themed portfolio, for example just environment art, and including 2D etc if you are a 3D artist will only bring the overall quality down.

Experience is important - you learn so much! Game mods are a pretty good thing to get involved in, although only if you can show the work you produce. Some mods want you to sign an NDA, meaning that you can't show your work to anyone or put it in your portfolio. My advice from personal experience is AVOID these, even if they say they will pay you or give you a job in the future. Most mods stagnate or fail, and the last thing you want is to still be working for free 6 months or a year later and realising that you still don't have a job and can't show any of that work in your portfolio.

I have one or two questions:

Is it generally important to a potential employer that you are technically able to handle optimization, game engine know-how, and other "game industry" knowledge that an inexperienced artist may not be familiar with? Or do they not expect that from an entry-level candidate who is going for their first job, and look more at artistic ability instead? I guess in reality it is a mix, but would be good to hear people's input on this - if you should try to optimize your portfolio pieces, or "screw it" and concentrate on the art.

Do many studios help with relocation? Are there often "immediate start" type situations, since it could take some time to find a new place and move in to a new city? And in those situations do you just have to find lodgings or stay in hotels temporarily?

Is an inexperienced artist better-off trying to work for big established developers, or smaller? For example larger studios may hire more often, and have better training and benefits.

I have almost a year of paid job experience, but never worked in-house at a studio, so these things are of interest to me.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:18 pm 
Im 17 going to uni in September to study games design
I got experience in 3D modelling in a software called Anim8or

however im thinking i should try to get work experience before uni at some developer studios

Do you think it will be possible i live in Cheshire in a town close to runcorn

Any tips would be great?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 pm 
hello mate - you'll find it tough to get some experience in your area - there aren't many developers.

Send me an email - I'm near you, maybe we could sort something out.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 pm 
My university that im hoping to go to offers a Year placement so i may just wait til then

I think over summer i just work on my modelling skills before i go to uni

When did most of you start a portfolio

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm 
ian111199 {L_WROTE}:
When did most of you start a portfolio

I started mine from day 1. I am constantly updating it with my better materials.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm 
Ive only created one 3D model
you can find it on my twitter
https://twitter.com/#!/Duffehs_Core/med ... 2FeMXe0qhF

Did you create a phycial portfolio or a digital one

I have got a physical portfolio that i got for free that would be perfect

I Create both :P

Last edited by ian111199 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:36 pm 
I know this sounds strange, but i would be interested in the amount of possibilities for intern-ships in the Games industry in the Uk and anywhere else. A list of companies would be good to see. Aswell as advice on this. Also advice for anyone that wants to go more into the Indy games design scene than Mainstream

Profile  Offline