[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 484: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '(!empty($user->lang['$1'])) ? $user->lang['$1'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', '$1')))', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 484: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '(!empty($user->lang['$1'])) ? $user->lang['$1'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', '$1')))', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
3d-for-games.com • View topic - Success Stories

Login |  Register

Post subject: Success Stories
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:57 am 
Hello,
What I'm looking for in this section is success stories.

How did you get your job in the games industry?
What do you think tipped the balance and got you your 1st job?
What was your standard of work? Do you have examples?
How long were you looking - did you get a job straight from Uni or did it take a while?
Did you even go to Uni to get a games related degree?

Feel free to mail this stuff to me or post in this thread for people to see.

thanks

http://www.3D-For-Games.com
http://www.ThePixelBullies.com

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Success Stories
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 am 

After finishing University, I took in a year of hard knocks at a startup Product Visualisation company where the art of 3D was equivalent to Black Magic. Here, I was first introduced to dealing with Outsourcers, which gave me valuable first hand experience to coincide with the Production route I wanted to follow for my career.

An opportunity arose at Lockwood Studios, who were looking for a Production Assistant to join the team. The role was not detailed so I contacted a Producer, who kindly accepted my invite on LinkedIn and we began to discuss the role. Additionally, one of my good friends who is on this forum; Elliott, had previously worked for the company so I was able to gain an interview for the role.

I was proactive in good communication with multiple members of the existing team. I had made contact with the Producer and I was on good terms with the HR department. I also informed them that the job link on their website had actually broken after applying.

When it came to the interview, I was able to call on my experience with Outsources and my background learning 3D at University which has helped me settle into the role without a major need to learn new software.

Note to self for any future interviews - Know if you have multiple weaknesses. I was okay with 2-3 but when asked for 5 I stumbled. That's probably an extreme number but its good to be prepared.

No portfolio was required as this was an entry level role. It was more based on my persona at the interview and my willingness to learn.

How long were you looking - did you get a job straight from Uni or did it take a while?

I spent around 18 months searching for a job. I took in unsuccessful interviews with a couple of companies, but things were looking quite bleak until this opportunity arose, mainly due to wanting to work in Production.

Did you even go to Uni to get a games related degree?

Yes I went to the University of Derby on the Computer Games Modelling & Animation course.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 pm 
Nice one Niel, you deserved it. Best of luck. Just remember me when you famous.

http://www.nickigoe.blogspot.com

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 pm 
I've got a job at The Creative Assembly! I'll be working on their upcoming Alien title as an Environment Artist!

It's all happening so fast - I got the job offer on Friday they wanted me to start ASAP, found a place to live this week and move to Horsham next week. Starting there the week after.

Hardly had time to relax and let it sink in, but I'm excited!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:09 pm 
Congrats Rob! Your Alien piece is great.

Guess that makes you Horshamite number 3 on this forum :mrgreen:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 am 
Thanks Alex! I actually have another WIP piece which I showed at the interview based on a concept from Prometheus. It has a much cleaner style than the Alien piece in my portfolio.

Horshamite, haha. So you, me and who's the third?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:41 pm 
Cool - are you going to share it with us? :mrgreen:

The other Horshamite is Thoms memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59624

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am 
Suppose I best update: Im no longer an Outsource & Production Assistant. I leveled up and became a Producer at Milky Tea. :geek:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 pm 
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I came here last. Life has been busy O_o

I would love to think that I got my first job in the industry because of my awesome artistic talent but sadly it wasn't. Sure I could probably tell what looked good and what didn't, but in the end it was all about hard work, dedication and networking. Looking back I wouldn't really say that my art was better than others or that I picked things up quicker than others. The truth is that I just kept working hard, at least 8 hours every day.

Not necessarily 8 hours modeling and texturing but learning, in one way or another.

I started learning 3d on these forums. I spent a year or so figuring stuff out when Andy Gahan contacted me and asked me if I wanted a job over at Evolution Studios and kickstarted my career as a game-artist and have a very busy and hectic life whilst trying to become a better artist though I'm constantly reminded about how far off I still am by my peers, not that they tell me. I work with awesome artists and I see their work everyday.

Hard work, determination and most of all networking. I might not been in the industry today if Andy didn't hire me back in the day.

Oh you can find all the work that I've done on this forum. Quite embarrassing actually.

Never went to Uni for Game Art, saved up enough money and taught myself through books and online.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:54 am 
Nice one buddy - I knew you'd make it :mrgreen:

http://www.3D-For-Games.com
http://www.ThePixelBullies.com

Profile  Offline